Friday, March 7, 2014

5 Steps to Having Victory Over Depression

“I found my spot in the shadows of life. The corners untouched by even the most misplaced souls.
I hid in the dark, holding my breath. I isolated myself and covered up with independence. I threw trust to the curb and relied on only myself. My broken, scared self.
And I died.
Moment by moment, life slipped from my veins. And before I knew it, I was gone.”

This came from a not-so-lost page in my journal.

Sounds dramatic, I know. But that’s how depression is. Even if the actions of depression don’t show such drama, the thoughts and emotions of someone failing to survive it are so full of despair that they face the danger of it ripping them apart at any moment, from the inside out.
That is my life.

Daily, I struggle with depression, although I personally think it doesn't deserve that many letters. Four could do the trick. Ya know, a word that starts with H and ends with ELL. (And yes, the caps are definitely called for.)

You see, depression lurks in the parts of someone that could never be seen with the eye. It cuts you in all the worst places; the ones already beaten and bruised. It screams in a voice so hard to drown out that you catch yourself yelling back at it, tears streaming. It clings to your lungs, making each breath more difficult than the last.
It lies. It tortures. It mocks. And it cripples.

The last few months have been some of the darkest I've ever had.
And those around me may not even notice it. Because I've done my best to hide it. Ya see, I’m used to being the smiling girl. The one with all the jokes. The one to hand out encouragement and truth. And that’s a truly hard person to be when you can barely breathe yourself.

I’m a teacher, spending my days emptying myself so that my students may be full. I’m a youth director, all efforts going to be a safe person in the lives of some who have no one to call their own. I’m a friend, a daughter, a sister; each of which require some sort of selflessness. Each with its own standards, formed by many different people. And in these last few months, I have come to learn just how intense those standards are. Some require me to hide that I’m human and I actually break sometimes. Some seek only acts of kindness, love and influence without the option of honesty. Others entail a happy-go-lucky Christian who is protected by life’s hard moments by the shield of religion and padded pews. And I can’t meet any of those. Because I am human and I not only do I break sometimes, but I’m currently in a place of brokenness.

And that’s why I’m writing this. Not because I want attention, not for pity or “poor thing” responses. I’m writing this for all the others out there like me. The ones who are hurting so bad, they can barely see through their pain. I’m writing for everyone, male or female, so busy trying to live up to expectations that they have taken a break from seeking Truth, like I have.

I've slacked. I stepped away from my time and devotion to the Most High so that I could meet smiling expectations of those who don’t even have a clue of what’s going on with me. And I've wasted. I've wasted time. I've wasted energy. I've wasted away, piece by piece.
I stepped away from the only One who not only knows exactly what I’m going through, but who also holds the very cure my heart seeks. His name is Jesus. And I’m coming back to the Him. Depression is not something that is going to just erase from my life, but there is no other way to survive it. He is my refuge. He is my hope. He is my healer. He loves me. He will hold me when times are unbearable and laugh with me when bits of strength push through to the surface.

He’s also there for you. Willing and waiting for your permission to hold you. Cradle you. Heal that heart of yours.

So here it is; the 5 steps of having victory over depression:
1.      Take it one day at a time. Don’t focus so much on the best times of the past, but instead, on the promises of the future.
2.      Dance. Seriously, whatever song is stuck in your head, whether fast or slow, dance. There’s this life altering, quite strength that comes with swaying to a song that has attached itself to your heart.
3.      Find at least one positive in every moment. Even the darkest moments. 
      So down that all you can do is lay in bed staring at the ceiling? Well, obviously you have a comfortable bed. There’s a positive!  And no, I’m not trying to be funny or annoying. I just know how easy it is to become consumed with the darkness, despite the flecks of light around you.
4.      Be honest. That may mean explaining to your coworkers that you’re having a really rough time right now and they may see a little less of the bubbly part of your personality. It may include telling your pastor or church family that you struggle with depression. It may even mean telling your family that you need them. But whatever it is, be honest about it. Allow those close to you the opportunity to walk this part of your life with you. And don’t be ashamed of it.
5.      Last, but definitely not least, don’t rely on only a list of things compiled by any person of this world to overcome your depression. Seek Jesus. First and always. He is the one who fashioned you. And He is the owner of Victory.

I love you all. Far more than I could ever explain. And even in the midst of my own disaster, I am praying for you. Because I know I’m not the only one here. <3 o:p="">



3 comments:

  1. You never have to deal with this alone. All those you listed as needing something from you are there to give back, as well.
    We are a struggling people who are given the ways to cope. Tap into them; Trust them; Trust your God side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this:) you are so strong and I admire you so much for being willing to share your struggles with us. that shows a lot of courage and bravery. you are so much stronger than depression. God is going to use this experience to bring Him glory; I know that much. He is with you. And you can do anything through Him. So dont be afraid to dream big!
    you are such a lovely woman. Thank you for being such an inspiration:)

    princessfaithm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great steps. I can so relate to this post.

    ReplyDelete